Monday, 7 May 2007

Jambo from cold wet Kenya

Hi Everyone,

yes that's right cold and wet, my veggies are doing very well with all this rain! At this rate will have to go and buy some warm pj's!

I cant remember where I left off last time other than it wasn't good! Things have settled a bit now although I trust no one! Problems never get dealt with here they just let time heal them and they just disappear (NOT!!).

Yasmin and her management team leave tomorrow so I am ready for the games that will ensue. Our 6 boys are back in the country from China and I am looking forward to seeing how a year intensive acrobatic coaching will have changed them, they should be in Nakuru this afternoon.

I cant remember if I mentioned that Scann were pledged a free day trip for everyone, we had it last week on Tuesday (it was labour day which was an official holiday here) At 5.30am ten shuttle buses appeared at Scann and were loaded with boys to go to Nairobi to visit the animal orphanage at the Safari Park. It was a long trip but so much more comfortable than the last trip on the back seat of the school bus!

The boys had a great time, after the safari park we went to a shopping mall and wandered round then had lunch, not a small feat when there are 130 boys and staff to cater for! We all had a great time, I think the highlight of the boys day was finding that there was a lift in the Mall! They crammed as many of them as it would take and spent ages just going up and down. Nakuru only has one lift (as far as I am aware) and none of the boys have ever been in one!

On Thursday the gardener at Scann who speaks NO English came and tried to have an animated conversation with me. It didn't work too well, I later found out that someone had been harvesting all the crop from outside my house and it wasn't him!! I told everyone that it wasn't me either, just how much kale do they think I can eat! I let the gardener know with actions that I would keep an eye open for the culprit!

At 4am Friday morning I was rudely awoken by what I thought was a riot!! There was shouting, and many many people running around my house. I pulled on some clothes and went outside, apparently they had seen the kale thief and were in hot pursuit. Can you imaging 130 boys and the night staff running round trying to catch a thief in the dark, it was madness. There was no more sleep to be had that night, it was like the world cup all over again, so much noise.

In the morning I went to sign on duty only to find the thief had been locked in the office, he was a very old man and had taken a beating from everyone.... apparently that is how they deal with thieves here, apparently he was lucky to be still alive. I am so glad about that! I was a little distressed to see such behaviour that I spent all morning in my house doing last minute sewing for the boys as they are back to school this week. The thief was taken into custody but not after all the day staff who arrived on duty gave him a good thumping....... whilst many things here are developing punishment is still very brutal!. Many get hanged by mobs when caught!

About two hours into the morning a fight erupted between the gardener and the karate coach, apparently the gardener said the karate coach was also stealing veg, however the coach said he had been told he can have it in return for his services. A good punching match began but was soon dispersed. Apparently there were so many bad spirits at Scann that day! I was glad it was the start of my day off and I was headed to Nairobi (Again).

My trip to Nairobi was good, I had to get my taxi friend Jenga to book me a room at the usual place (Parkside) as I couldn't find the phone number. When I arrived in Nairobi I offered to take him for a beer to say thank you. At 8.30 we headed out for a drink............. then another and another, I did point out that I did say one drink! He took me to many local bars that had live music so I could experience the differences! It was great, as usual I was the only non Kenyan! Everyone wanted to dance with me, men and women. Eventually got back at 2.30 am after being told to drive the taxi as he couldn't! He was very impressed with my driving and said that it was OK for me to buy a car if I wanted to as he wouldn't be worried that I would struggle with the driving in Kenya!

I did actually look at some cars as I was told Nairobi was the cheapest place to buy a car. James the acrobatic coach from Nairobi met me on Saturday having set up some car viewings, not quite what I had in mind, one was a custom job on a mini clubman! it had a garden spade attached to the boot door instead of a handle! It was blue and white with a union Jack on the aerial! Can just see me bombing around in it! Crazy woman in the mini!! Anyway am biding my time as I first need to get a Kenyan driving license.

Whilst with James he showed me around the project he is attached to the Nairobi Slums, it was really well organised, they only have 60 boys there, and do the same as Scann, educate, house, feed, cloth. They do however encourage their creative skills, doing drama, dance, acrobatics, art, crafts and many more. They have created various workshops and train the boys in them, wood crafts, mechanics, welding, furniture making, it is really good, I suggested this for Scann last year but it wasn't acted on. They get the skilled people from the community to help by offering them the use of the equipment and workshops in return for teaching skills, all produce is sold in the community and various craft outlets.

I am keeping my options open as far as what happens when I decide to leave Scann!!!!! I will think further on this subject!

Anyway, I hope you are all well, I had a bad throat infection this week but a short course of antibiotics has wiped it out. The cold weather is dampening my spirits. I forgot to mention my trip back to Nakuru started with me sitting in the Mololine shuttle office having booked my seat at 10am yesterday (Sunday) I then sat for 4 hours waiting for an available shuttle to come ......... I forgot as the schools are back this week it is a very busy time for the shuttles! Boy was I tired, 4 hours wait and 3 hours of bumpy roads back to Nakuru, only to find when I got here the heavens had opened and I got totally soaked! I arrived back at Scann with an aching rear, headache, looking like a drowned rat, all I wanted was a hot chocolate and a hot bath, neither of which was forth coming! Mind you, I got the hot chocolate before I fell into bed at 1030pm! I woke up this morning still exhausted.

I decided to come to the internet early as it always rains in the afternoon and I get cold and wet and miserable, so here I am bright and early. Also as the China boys are due back this afternoon I think a great deal of mirth and merriment will be forthcoming and don't want to miss the boys excitement.

Love to you all, take care, be well.


Hugs to everyone.

People here scare me they all keep asking if I want another baby..... have no idea what they are on! DRUGS maybe! I keep saying I have a child that has a child and I have another who could have but doesn't want...... NO I DON'T WANT ANOTHER BABY!!!!!!! I think its a compliment as they see how I am with the kids here, they think my talents are wasted and I should have a football team!

Ok going now! xxxxxx will try and be more regular on the emails as sorry for the long one.


No comments:

Post a Comment